If you plan on selling your home in Champaign County this holiday season, you may be tempted to go all out on the decorations thinking it will attract buyers. But in fact, most buyers want to envision how their own decorations will look, not yours. What are some ways you can stage your home with a holiday slant without scaring away buyers? Here are a few tips:
1. Front door appeal. Keep is simple with a live wreath on the front door. You can add a big bow for more flare. This will add an inviting element that welcomes your buyers.
2. Curb appeal. Don't forget about good old fashioned curb appeal. You should make sure that the exterior of the home is clean and the yard is cared for. Add a colorful mat, but not a holiday one. You could add fake or real Christmas trees and decorate them if you like, just keep it simple.
When you're done, take a good look with a friend or family member and makes sure it's not overdone. Take away elements until the balance is right.
3. Keep outside holiday decorations to minimum. It's preferable not to put up holiday decorations on the outside of your home. But if you do, keep it simple. Less is more, especially outside. You might put up a solid color string along the front trim for a basic decoration.
4. Minimal decorations inside. If you decide to have a tree inside, keep that simple as well. Decorate it with simple white lights and standard ornaments in one color if possible. Not having a tree is preferable, as it will take up space and can be distracting.
The key to home staging is to not distract the buyers with all your stuff. They need to see your home and be able to envision how their items will look in it.
5. No stockings. The mantle should be free and clear and uncluttered. Let your buyers visualize decorating the mantle themselves.
6. Replace, don't accumulate. When you add holiday decorations, they should replace whatever was there before, not add to it. That will only add more distractions.
7. Fresh displays of flowers or holiday greenery. Arranging one display as opposed to a lot of decorations is the way to go. Decorations can easily turn to clutter which eats up equity.
8. Be careful with candle displays and lit fireplaces – they can cause accidents.
9. Stow your holiday collections. Again, don't go nuts with nutcrackers and such. All of those collections add up and may hide important items. This is why buyers leave a house and ask their Realtor, “Was there a fireplace in the living room? I was so busy looking at the stuff, I don’t remember.”
Keep in mind that selling your home during the holidays is a lot like any other time of year. It’s also a great time to sell since January is the busiest month for corporate relocations. By using these simple tips to help you stage your home for sale in Champaign County, it will stand out from your competition and help you win the home selling game over the holiday season.
Visit our blog twice a week for more helpful real state articles and local Champaign County news. Follow us on Facebook! Rose Price can help you find the ideal home in Champaign - Urbana! Start your home search now with our powerful home search feature.